Website Research centre on Interactive media, Smart systems and Emerging technologies – RISE LTD
A research and innovation Centre of Excellence based in Cyprus.
The Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart System and Emerging Technologies – RISE LTD is seeking a Makerspace Assistant to join its fast-growing team of passionate and enthusiastic professionals for full-time employment at its premises in Nicosia, Cyprus. The Makerspace Assistant will play an essential role in ensuring the Centre’s Makerspace runs smoothly and trouble-free, providing general caretaking of the facility and equipment, and also assisting members where needed.
Main responsibilities include:
- Conduct tours of the Makerspace;
- Teach safe operation of Makerspace tools to members age 12 to senior adult in both one-on-one and group teaching scenarios;
- Monitor the Makerspace ensuring a safe work environment adherent to the Centre’s Health and Safety program including the proper usage of tools;
- Assist members of all experience levels with their projects including: Production techniques, Tool selection, Proper tool usage, Selection of appropriate materials
- Follow RISE’s Emergency Action plan;
- Manage the daily operation, maintenance, and organization of the Makerspace;
- Maintain inventory and order consumables as needed;
- Work special events as needed both onsite and offsite.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Demonstrated successful completion of maker projects is preferred;
- Knowledge of 3D printing, scanning and modelling software (Solidworks, AutoDesk design suite, etc.) is preferred;
- Experience with the following will be considered an advantage: Photography, Drones, Arduino, Raspberry Pi
- Ability to determine cause of software problems and resolve or refer for maintenance and repair; able to answer any questions related to 3D printer/scanner problems;
- Teaching/group demonstration experience (formal or informal) and experience working with children considered an advantage;
- Ability to provide individual/small group instruction and ability to offer advice to and work closely with young inventors preferred;
- Knowledge and experience using digital fabrication equipment (3D printer, laser cutter, CNC router) considered an advantage;
- Drafting and/or mechanical drawing experience a plus;
- Knowledge of woodworking, metalworking and machine shop equipment a plus;
- Fluent in English and Greek (written and spoken); knowledge of Turkish will be considered an advantage;
- For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required.
RISE LTD is a newly founded research centre of excellence in Nicosia, Cyprus. The Centre will conduct excellent, internationally competitive scientific research in the areas of visual sciences, human factors and design, communication, and artificial intelligence delivered by high-calibre multidisciplinary research teams. RISE LTD will also engage in knowledge transfer and innovation activities aiming to bridge the gap between scientific research and STEM-led innovation and entrepreneurship.
RISE LTD is an equal opportunity employer and the position is open to everyone, internationally.
For additional information and to apply to this position, please visit http://www.rise.org.cy/en-gb/vacancies/job-listings/makerspace-assistant/
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.